The History of Waterford, Virginia
   Part of the Waterford village web site

History photos of Waterford VA
Waterford was settled by Quakers Waterford was pro Union Waterford was an active mill town Waterford was the second largest town in Loudoun before 1860 Waterford's history is its people Change comes to Waterford Furniture making was an important part of Waterford
about the village
History of Waterford and Loudoun County
Visiting historic Waterford
Village and historical maps
About the fair including photos
site index
NMPL - Virginia Lenders

Go to the Foundation web site Foundation events About the citizens' association About the citizens' association Join the WCA web pages for members only
Waterford history home page
History index
ON THIS PAGE
Union cemetery
Quaker cemetery
Civil War reenactment

Waterford Cemeteries

Union Cemetery (Fairfax Street)
The quiet cemetery is on a commanding rise at the northeast end of the village. The graveyard takes its name not from the Civil War, but rather from its use by a "union" of Waterford churches.

Union Cemetery in Waterford, VirginiaSince the early 1800s, the Union of Churches Cemetery has served all Waterford denominations (albeit segregated into black and white sections), other than the Quakers — whose burying ground adjoins Fairfax Meetinghouse. Both Union and Confederate veterans lie here. Lists of burials are on record at the Waterford Foundation office.

Black cemetery in Waterford, VA
Union cemetery looking out onto the Quaker cemetery

The Union Cemetery was laid out early in the nineteenth century and was strictly segregated, with the black section to the rear. Both sections contain fine marble monuments, but many African Americans could afford no more than a roughly flat stone brought in from some field, or just a wooden marker that quickly weathered away. The resulting gaps in the rows testify eloquently to the inequalities of the day.

Civil War veterans of both races - and both armies - lie peaceably together in the same cemetery. Their graves bear appropriate military markers. One designates the grave of James Lewis (born 1844) who traveled to Pittsburgh during the war where he joined the 55th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, a white-led black unit like the famous 54th that was Immortalized in the film, Glory.

Quaker Cemetery in Waterford, VirginiaQuaker Cemetery (15510 Loyalty Road)  Top of page
Waterford's founding Quakers built their first meetinghouse (of logs) on this site in 1741. They replaced it with a stone structure in 1761; and ten years later doubled its size. This building architecturally mirrors many Quaker meetinghouses in Pennsylvania. It survived a disastrous fire in 1868 but by 1929 Waterford's few remaining Quakers "laid down" their meeting and joined the congregation at nearby Lincoln. Noted architect Alan McDaniel converted the structure into a home in 1939, an early example of adaptive use.

Civil War reenactment wreath laying ceremony  Top of page

During the annual Waterford Fair, Civil War reenactors lay a wreath honoring the soldiers buried here.

Click to enlarge
reenactors mrching up fairfax street civil war reenactor with child on a ropeharness
civil war reenactors at the gravesites

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Top of page

 

 

x

Get Firefox!
Download the free web browser you can trust
Faster and safer than Internet Explorer

- 11/20/2004